Wednesday 10 December 2014

Snowy Tree

Hello everyone, Alison (butterfly) here with a wintry tag for you.  There's snow forecast for the UK this week, so it may well fit perfectly with the weather for some of you.  You can click on any of the product links in the text if you need to go shopping right now!!


From the moment I saw the large Snowflakes Backgrounds by CaroLines, I had plans for them!  This tag uses the Palette Snowflakes as the background.


I stamped it onto a whitewashed tag using Stormy Sky and Weathered Wood Distress Inks.  I gave it a slight spritz of water beforehand, which is why you get that nice watercolour splatter effect in places.


The other new winter stamp here at The Artistic Stamper which really caught my attention was this beautiful Pine Tree, also CaroLines.


It's stamped in Potting Soil Archival Ink (or maybe Coffee - sorry, can't quite remember, but it's bound to be one of the two!), and clear embossed with SuperFine powder to make it really pop against the snowy blizzard in the background.


The sentiment comes from the Christmas Greetings #1 plate, and got the same treatment.


I cut the figures using a Tim Holtz die from some "rusted" card leftover from another project.  The effect is created using some of the new DecoArt Mixed Media line.  You'd need the Carbon spray and Quinacridone Gold.


I used Ginger and Rust alcohol inks to alter my metal Idea-ology Findings - the Muse Token here, and the Word Band below.


And once the inks were dry, I smeared Picket Fence Distress Paint onto the Word Band and wiped it back, leaving the lettering highlighted.  Despite being dry, the alcohol inks seeped into the colour, but I rather like the distressed look.


I brushed some Chalk Fresco paint (part of the new JOFY Limited Edition) onto the edges of the tag to draw the eye inward and give a softer, snowier look.  I blended on some Vintage Photo Distress Ink too, to tie in to the rusty accents of the tag.


The whole thing is finished off with a couple of my tiny pine cones (UPDATE: sorry for any confusion - they are real pine cones, not "mine" as in I made them!!) and some seam binding which has just had a tiny touch of Vintage Photo Distress Ink to shabby it up (down?).  And a splatter of Chalk paint at the very end...


So there you have it... I hope that you are staying safe and warm if it's snowing where you are.  And if the weather is keeping you indoors, why not use the time to come and play in our Anything Goes challenge this month at The Artistic Stamper.  You don't have to use Artistic Stamper stamps to enter, but if you do you get two entries in the prize draw.

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon.

Alison xx

26 comments:

Julie Lee said...

Loving the use of rust on this, Alison. Those snowflakes are wonderful too: It must have been hard to cover them up they're so very gorgeous! I love everything about this tag - the pine=cone, the tree and the ribbon! It's all perfect for a magical, wintry tag! xxx

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Agree with Julie Ann, loved everything on your tag here, Alison

craftytrog said...

Absolutely magical Alison xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

A wonderful winter tag! Those snowflakes make a great background for your tree. Love your clever additions to encourage thoughts of a white Christmas! Chrisx

sally said...

A frosty feel with the background & a certain warmth with the rustiness... Thus ones a winner for me :-)

Sally

Kay Wallace said...

What a wonderful tag, Alison! I love everything about it--but I especially the detail you added to the ribbon! Sometimes, it's all about the detail to me!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Sensational, Alison! I love the colors you used and those new stamps are lovely. You've created a beautiful rustic frosty piece!

Hugs,
Linda

Jackie PN said...

I love rust! I love the way you use rust! i love the way you used the blue and rust together!I love your tag!! teeheehe
Alison, your art always amazes me with its beauty!! Thank you for sharing!!

Marci said...

Beautiful!

massofhair said...

STUNNING Alison :-) xxx

Dorthe said...

Love it, oh- so much Alison.
the beautiful stamped background with the watercolour effect looks amazing with the brown/rusted tree and pieces on. What a beautiful tag, your rust is gorgeous!
Hugs from Dorthe

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful, I love the combination of the frosty blue/grey with the browns..
Corrie x

Redanne said...

Gorgeous Alison, I love that beautiful snowflake background, it is stunning and the tree looks so beautiful in the brown tone. The rusty numbers are fantastic too. Anne xx

Cocofolies said...

A perfect and wonderful tag Alison, love your delicate snowY background as well as your fine stamping of this beautiful tree, and everything you put to embellish it!! Hugs Coco xx

Unknown said...

Stunning work, Alison! Gorgeous background! The rusted numbers are so cool!! xx

Hettie said...

Oh gosh Alison. This is beautiful. Great tag! I love the layered background and that tree is a wonderful shape.
Hugs
xx

Linda S. said...

I'm so happy that I followed your suggestion and popped over to take a look at your latest work. This is a gorgeous tag, and I so appreciate your taking the time to share how you created it. I don't think I would have been brave enough to stamp a brown/rusty Christmas tree, but as usual, Alison knows best!!

Kirsten said...

Such a beautiful tag, the rusty numbers look great.

Helen said...

Love that the tree looks rusty too! What a fabulous tag. I really hope the snow doesn't come as far south as me, too much to do...

Notations of a Crafter said...

Beautiful tag Alison, I knew I needed to get the pine cone die ;-).

Sid said...

Great tag !

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Love it! Dee x

Laura said...

Alison, your snowflake, tree and pinecone tag is fabulous! I love the way the brown tree is set off by the wonderful blue and white background of snowflakes! Thanks for sharing all the special touches you added! I'd love to make something like this!!! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Laura

sarascloset said...

What a gorgeous tag! The rust with the blue is just a wonderful color combo and your pine cone is better than Mother Nature can make. Any tutorials on those? I sure could use some tips!

Gaby Bee said...

What a wonderful winter tag! Love the background, the color combo and the stamps you've used ... just everything!

Kezzy said...

Wow awesome tag, really love the snowflake background wow. Kezzy :-) xxx