Wednesday 13 November 2013

Altered Slide Mailer

Hello everyone Astrid here. Can you believe we are nearly half way through November?.... Soon it will be time to dust off those Christmas stamps, but for today, one more non Christmassy project..., an altered slide mailer.

These are the stamps and products I used:
Calligraphic Mat 13
Journaling words 3
Scrabble and Tags Plate (these are available for special order)
Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Attic Treasures
Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Classics 1

Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Paints in Snowflake, Nougat and French Roast
Paper Artsy Crackle Glaze
Ranger Archival Ink in Plum and Wateringcan
Adirondack Dye Inkpad in Espresso
Artistic Stamper Splats and Swirls mask
Tissue Tape
 French Industrial scrapbook paper
From my stash: A 4 slide slide mailer, a wing and key charm, jump rings, some lace and some Kraft paper for the spine and a home made flower.

I started by painting the front and the inside of the mailer with Snowflake Fresco paint. As the mailer had been in my stash for a long time it had broken into two pieces, so I knew I would have to create a spine.
Next I added some Crackle Glaze in the corners, to give it all a bit more aged effect when done. (Forgot to take a photo here but I am sure you can imagine it...)
I then blended Nougat around the middle and French Roast around the outside of both the cover and the inside pieces until I was happy with the result.

Sorry for the blurry picture, below you can see a corner after the crackle has done it's work.

When everything was dry I stamped my chosen butterflies and word stamps in Plum Archival, added some stencilling with Adirondack Espresso ink and finally some background text in Watering can Archival.




I made a little spine from Kraft paper for extra strength and also added some Tissue Tape along the inside for the same reason.


The back was covered with a piece of the scrapbook paper and I embellished with some lace and charms.


Well, that's it and I hope you like it.
See you next time


28 comments:

Rita said...

Fabulous art piece Astrid. . Hugs Rita xxxxx

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing project!!!

Greetings
Maria

May said...

Like it... I Love it.... Gorgeous creation... the texture & design is fabulous...Loved the tutorial too... Hugs May x x x

Maryann Laursen said...

You´ve just done it again here hun, it´s just gorgeous work as usualand I love the texture and the colors for it, so beautiful as always.
A really stunning project Astrid and I absolutely LOVE it.

Sid said...

Loving your decoration !

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! The texture looks great.

Vicki Miller said...

I love the textures and depth

Annie said...

Hi Astrid this is fabulous with wonderful techniques x love it
Those scramble letters are on my wishlist TFS
Annie x

Shroo said...

Aah - beautiful! This is really yummy - and I love the effect you achieved with the crackle glaze. You have a way of combining the elements in your work that just makes them GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and designs - Shroo:)x

Marianne said...

Oooh wauw!! Gorgeous!
xxx Marianne

rachel said...

beautiful work Astrid - lots of texture and fabulous details - love this xx

Redanne said...

This is so beautiful Astrid, love the crackling and of course those wonderful butterflies. Hugs, Anne x

Paper Profusion said...

Yet another beauty Astrid. You are such a wonderful artist. Beautifully done and lovely clear step x step. Nicola x

Maryanne said...

I love this, Astrid! The texture on the cover is wonderful. I love how you used the crackle just in the corners. And, the spine adds so much to the appearance of the cover. Beautiful!

Aquarius said...

What a fascinating piece of art - love it

Terry said...

Always love your projects, but seeing the process is wonderful! Gorgeous book! Hugs!

froebelsternchen said...

wonderful project Astrid!

craftytrog said...

A beautiful project Astrid! xxx

Dorthe said...

Beautiful in every way, dear Astrid,- so love the colours with the nougat and plum together ,and the beautiful stamps,-and you chosed four importent words to live by!! Gorgeous !!!
Hugs Dorthe

Corrie Herriman said...

I love this, I think it is absolutely wonderful !
Corrie x

Wendy said...

I have no idea what a 'slide mailer' is... but you have made it look amazing! Beautiful project. xx

Brenda Brown said...

Great mailer Astrid, love the designs.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Artyjen said...

SLide mailers always look so interesting...yours is a very beautiful example ;)
xoxo Sioux

Almo said...

lovely altered slide mailer Astrid. Have just bought watering can and it looks lovely with the plum archival and nougat paint. Great crackle effect too. Hugs Mo x

Words and Pictures said...

It's a delight, Astrid - lovely textures and stamping!
Alison xx

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

stunning piece, as usual dear Astrid !

Margaret Mifsud said...

This is gorgeous Astrid!! This is only the second time I've seen a slide mailer and I really love it!! The colours and textures and the crackle finish are just perfect for this piece. Absolutely Stunning!! ox

Mary Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous Astrid!! I love the crackle on the corners. What a fabulous finish to emphasize the beautiful stamps and embellishments. -- Mary Elizabeth